Training your pubococcygeus muscle (PC muscle) is essential for awakening and controlling the sexual energy.
Therefore, any man who desires to master the art of sexual continence will have to pay close attention to the exercises for strengthening the PC muscle.
This muscle sustains the pelvic floor, and is stretching from the pubic bone to the top of the coccyx. This is also the muscle that contracts in the moment of ejaculation (in men's case) or orgasm with discharge of the sexual energy (in women's case).
A powerful PC muscle contributes both to enhancing the erotic pleasure and to control over the sexual energy. This is why we can say that the strengthening of the sexual muscle (PC muscle) is essential in the practice of sexual continence.
As you already know from our previous articles, the contraction of an area brings about the concentration of the energy in that particular area. In the case of a powerful contraction of the pubococcygeus muscle, the sexual energy is focused and then "propeled" along the spine towards the upper centers of force.
In other words, the PC muscle acts as a pumping system for the sexual energy, inside the body, to upper levels of consciousness. Therefore mental focus plays an important role in raising the sexual energy.
Therefore, the powerful contractions of the PC muscle should be accompanied by an appropriate mental focus in the upper centers of force (Anahata Chakra, Vishuddha Chakra, Ajna Chakra, or Sahasrara Chakra).
Thus, the sexual energy that builds up and is "forced" upwards, through the contraction of the PC muscle, is then made to stay and accumulate mostly in the area on which we focus our mind.
If we do this technique of focusing on a specific center of force during lovemaking, we will have the possibility of experiencing states of orgasm specific to that particular center of force.
Another benefit drawn from a good development of the PC muscle reducing the risk of prostate problems. Furthermore, in both men and women, a healthy, strong PC muscle decreases the danger of bladder problems, because the contractions of the muscular tissue in that area increases the blood-flow ensuring the health of the genitalia and of the bladder.
IDENTIFYING THE PC MUSCLE
The first step in performing these exercises is to identify this muscle. You may do this as follows: place two fingers behind the testicles, without pressing.
Imagine that you are urinating and that you wish to stop the flow of urine. For a more accurate approach we recommend that you do this check up while actually urinating. The muscle that will become tense at the point when you stop the urine is the PC muscle.
This is the first exercise that you will perform daily:
1. Contract the PC muscle and maintain the contraction for 3 seconds. Do not hold your breath while you contract the muscle. Breathe as freely as possible.
2. Relax the PC muscle.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 twenty to fifty times.
The advantage of this exercise is that you may perform it anywhere, and anytime. You may do it while you shower, immediately after you go to the toilet, while you watch TV or any other routine activity.
Here is the second exercise that you have to perform daily:
1. Inhale and focus on the area of the prostate, perineum and anus.
2. Exhale and contract the PC muscle around the prostate and anus, contracting at the same time the muscles around the eyes and lips.
3. Inhale and relax, releasing the PC muscle, as well as the mouth and eyes muscles.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 contracting the muscles while inhaling and relaxing them while exhaling. Do 10 to 50 repetitions. The contraction of the facial muscles helps the strong contraction of the PC muscle.
You should practice these exercises two-three times a day.
There are two typical errors in the practice of these exercises:
1. Exaggerating the number of contractions from the first sessions. Remember that the PC muscle is a muscle just as any other, and it may become sore. Stay calm and do not force it in any manner. Increase the number of contractions gradually in one session.
2. The contraction of another muscle along or instead of the PC muscle. When you do your PC strengthening, it is important that the muscles of the abdomen, thighs and buttock remain relaxed.
In the beginning you may contract these as well, but in time you will learn to isolate the PC muscle from the other muscles. However, this is possible only through practice.
You do not need to have your finger on the PC muscle while practicing. A better method for feeling this muscle is to close your eyes and focus on the area. However, if you have problems in locating the PC muscle you may put your finger on the muscle while urinating, during the first repetitions.
For the muscle to become fit, about three to four weeks are necessary, interval in which you have to practice the two exercises daily.
Once you begin to get a grip on how to contract the PC muscle, daily practice will continue until you become completely successful in preventing the sexual energy from discharging through ejaculation.
A useful way of helping you in your daily practice routine is to associate the exercises to your daily habits, such as waking up in the morning, the shower, or getting into bed at night.
A good method for checking the firmness of your PC muscle is to hang a towel on your erect penis, and then lift and lower it through the contractions of this muscle. In the advanced Taoist practice, the men use weights instead of the towel.
Keep in mind that "practice makes perfect " and that "a gram of practice is worth tones of theory."
After 3-4 weeks of practicing daily the exercises described in our previous article, "Daily exercises for the PC muscle. Part 1", you are ready to approach the following exercise:
1. Inhale and focus your attention in the pelvic area.
2. Exhale, contract the PC muscle and keep the contraction for 10 to 15 seconds.
3. Inhale and relax the contraction. Stay relaxed for 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3, contracting the PC muscle while inhaling and relaxing it while exhaling. Do 10 up to 50 repetitions on one session.
You may need several weeks in order to get to 50 slow contractions during one session. Be patient, practice gradually and do as many repetitions as you can, without forcing anything. When you start feeling the results, you will see that you will not be able to stop yourself from these exercises.